Four Nigerians have been injured in another xenophobic attacks in Mpumalanga Province, South Africa.
Confirming the fresh attacks to newsmen, President of the Nigerian Union South Africa, Adetola Olubajo, told Punch that it all started in the early hours of Tuesday.
“The Department of Home Affairs, which is like our own Ministry of Interior that deals with immigration and citizens’ issues, is in the (South African) parliament briefing the parliament on migration today (Tuesday).
“While that was going on, there was an attack on foreign nationals in Witbank area of Mpumalanga Province and there are some locations mainly in Extension 10, even the police commander there was giving a warning to foreign nationals to be careful.
“Though no death has been recorded so far, there have been loss of properties and people have been injured. At the last count, there are four of them that have been injured who are Nigerians,” he told the daily.
He added that, “we are very saddened that even after all the efforts of the two governments to forge ahead with good programmes and suggestions here and there, this kind of thing happened.
“It is so unfortunately because they have to go back to the drawing board or speed up the implementation of some of the mechanisms they agreed on.
“We believe that if there is no deterrent for some of the perpetrators of these crimes against Africans, Nigerians in particular, these things will continue to happen.”
Nigerians were forced to return to the country in September after Air Peace offered free flights to those willing to settle down due to the deadly attacks in South Africa
Also, after series of meetings between delegates, President Muhammadu Buhari and South Africa’s Cyril Ramaphosa met to discussed issues relating to the welfare of citizens.